Are You Doing Your Poultry Lighting Right?
- Are You Doing Your Poultry Lighting Right?
- 7 Awesome Facts You Should Know About LED Poultry Lighting
- Leave a Comment
Most people don’t know this but…
It takes the right kind of lighting to properly breed poultry.
Well, time and time again, research keeps showing that light affects almost all aspects of life for poultry; including their behavior, feeding, reproduction, and most importantly, growth.
Clearly, these are some of the most important aspects of breeding poultry.
And if done right, it could mean a lot of profits for you.
Sound great, huh?
Well, there is a catch!
In order to provide your poultry with an optimal breeding environment, there are a number of things you need to consider.
Lighting is one of these things. In fact, it’s one of the most important factors to consider.
You may be doing everything right, but still can’t make the most of your poultry investment.
This not only leads to losses but also to frustrations.
And that’s not good, is it?
Well, have you considered your lighting?
Is it helping or hurting your investment?
Well, to better understand how lighting affects your poultry farm, there are a few questions that need answers.
This article covers everything you need to know about poultry lighting including:
- What poultry lights are.
- How they affect your poultry.
- Their importance to broiler farming.
- Why the right type of lighting is necessary?
- How LED lights are beneficial.
- And what you can do to get the best poultry lights.
7 Awesome Facts You Should Know About LED Poultry Lighting
To get a better understanding of how you benefit from using good lighting for your poultry, you need to know a few facts.
Here are seven questions and answers that best explain why LED poultry lighting is the best for you.
What are Poultry Lights?
Poultry lights are fixtures specifically designed for poultry farming.
The fact that they are special poultry lights means that manufacturers tailor these lights to offer poultry farmers with everything they need from a good lighting fixture.
Moreover, poultry lights come in many forms and types.
There are LED, incandescent, fluorescents, and so many other light fixtures on the market today.
Therefore, before investing in a lighting fixture, you need to make sure that it meets all your needs in the best possible way.
Which Types of Poultry Lighting Exist?
In truth, there are numerous types of lighting fixtures available today. Each with its own set of perks and downsides.
Generally, poultry farmers use five main types of lighting including:
- Incandescent lights: These are the most affordable poultry lighting fixtures available. They are also the most inefficient of all types of lighting. To get the most of incandescent lights, reflectors become a necessity. Moreover, they are the least durable of all types of lighting fixtures; they last for 750 to 1000 hours.
- Fluorescents: They are better than incandescent lights. For instance, these luminaries are almost 4 times more efficient and can last 10 times longer. This means that fluorescents offer up to 10,000 hours of lighting. Unfortunately, these fixtures are inconvenient in that they flicker for a while before switching on.
- Mercury Vapor Lights: With these lights, you get to enjoy up to 24,000 hours of lighting. But it comes at a cost. Aside from being expensive to buy and maintain, these fixtures take time to light up. Moreover, they cause a lot of heating hence aren’t ideal for rooms with low-lying ceilings.
- CF (Compact Fluorescent) Lights: They are a great improvement to standard fluorescents. For instance, they are 5 times more efficient and last even longer. But this still doesn’t make them the best ones for poultry farming.
- LED Poultry Lighting: LED technology was a gamechanger in the lighting industry. That’s because these luminaries make up for all the shortcomings of other types of lighting. For example, in terms of durability, poultry LEDs can last up to 75,000 hours. What’s more, they are 80% more efficient; this means that with LEDs, you’ll see an 80% reduction in energy costs.
Which is the Best Type of Poultry Lighting Fixture?
Well, from the brief overview above, it’s clear that LEDs are the best.
That is in many more ways than the ones mentioned above.
In summary, LEDs last longer, are more efficient, easy to install and come with many features that allow users to regulate illuminations.
Sounds great, right? Well, here’s what you need to know about LED poultry lighting
Why are LED Lights Ideal for Poultry Breeding?
Generally, the list of perks that come with LED poultry lighting fixtures is endless.
These luminaries are often highly recommended.
Here are a few unique features and perks that prove that LED lights are superior to other types of lighting:
- Durability: When it comes to finding the best commercial poultry lighting, durability is always a major factor to consider. Obviously, you want a light that will last longer. With LEDs, you are guaranteed at least 75,000 hours of high-quality lighting. Basically, that’s more than 15 years. Impressive, right? Well, there’s more.
- Efficiency: Aside from durability, LED poultry lights are also well-known for their efficiency. On average, these luminaries have an energy efficiency of around 110lm/W. This means that they use up less energy but provide more illumination. Eventually, this translates to more profits.
- Full Spectrum Light: Unlike human beings, chickens respond to a wide array of light colors. Some of these invoke specific behaviors and that’s why it’s important to find the right kind of light. LEDs offer full spectrum lights, which means they can provide all the colors you need to properly breed poultry.
- Little or No Infrared Radiation or Heat: Unlike other forms of poultry lighting, LEDs do not emit infrared radiation. This means that they do not overheat even when used for long periods of time.
- Easily Adjustable Lighting: Aside from offering dimming capabilities, LEDs can also be calibrated to emit a specific light spectrum or color.
- More Convenience: LEDs are known to be super-convenient. How? Well, these luminaries not only switch on/off instantly but also don’t make noise, are flicker-free, and are very easy to handle and install.
- Robust Exterior: Part of the reasons why LEDs last longer is the material used to make the fixture. Most LED poultry lighting consists of high-quality and corrosion resistant materials. For example, the ShineLong Rancher LED luminarycomes with an IP69K – IK10 protection rating. This means that it is waterproof, dustproof, vapor-proof, and impact resistant. Moreover, it is highly resistant to corrosion and aging.
How Does Lighting Affect Poultry?
Most farmers often ask questions like:
- What is the importance of light in broiler farming?
- What’s the effect of light on broiler growth?
- Do broilers need light at night?
Lighting effects on broilers.
Lighting is very important in broiler farming because it helps in feeding, behavior, and growth. Basically, if the chicken coop isn’t well lit three things can happen to your broilers:
- Your poultry may start exhibiting fear and aggression. This aggressive behavior may lead to fights that not only drain their energy but also can be fatal.
- It may affect how they feed. Which may lead to a deterioration of their health.
- Lastly, poor lighting can affect how your broilers feed. Feeding problems can also affect your poultry’s growth.
With this in mind, it’s easy to see why good lighting is vital for your broilers’ welfare.
Lighting effects on layers.
So, you may also be wondering; how does lighting affect egg production?
An increase in daylight leads to an increase in egg production.
It’s mainly because a well light environment encourages the release of FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) that’s responsible for the growth of eggs.
Thereafter, there will be an increase in LH (Luteinizing Hormone) that prompts the release of mature eggs from the ovary.
That’s why experts recommend at least 16 hours of light for laying poultry to maximize egg production.
This means that you can use LED poultry lighting to provide artificial lighting for a few extra hours in the morning or evening or even both times.
What Makes LED Poultry Lighting So Special?
Unlike other types of LED luminaries, poultry luminaries are specially designed for poultry farming.
Think of it this way…
When harvesting wheat, using a combine harvester will make the whole process easier than using a simple tractor. Why? Because the combine is specifically designed for that kind of work.
Now, the same applies to poultry lighting.
LED poultry lighting manufacturers make these fixtures with a chicken coop/poultry barn/shed in mind.
Therefore, they always ensure that their LED fixtures can operate properly and for long in a poultry breeding environment.
Which is the Best LED Poultry Lighting Fixture?
There are dozens of LED light fixtures of the market today.
Out of the many, only one stands out as the best.
And that’s the ShineLong Rancher LED luminary.
Not only are they great led lights for laying hens but also offer poultry farmers the best value for their money.
Now, you may be wondering; how?
Well, the Rancher is an LED chicken coop light that offers you:
75,000 hours of high-quality lighting.
Impressive IP69K and IK10 protection.
110 to 130lm/W energy efficiency.
-20 to 50 degrees Celsius operating temperatures.
Corrosion and vapor resistance for a longer lifespan.
Multiple connection options.
Easy installation, handling, and maintenance.
Supports dimming and can come in different color temperatures.
These are just a few of the many perks you enjoy from using the ShineLong Rancher.
Are you impressed? Well, you should be.
In summary, it’s quite evident that lighting plays an important role in poultry breeding. Whether poultry farming is just a hobby or an investment for you, one thing is certain:
Your lighting will determine your profits or the growth of your poultry farm. Therefore, don’t wait any longer. Start upgrading to LED poultry lighting today to provide a better breeding environment for your poultry.