IP65 LED Lights: The Ultimate User Guide (2022)
You’ve probably seen an IP rating on an electrical device and wondered:
What does it mean?
Well, IP ratings – e.g. IP65 – are guide information that helps users to know whether or not an electrical fixture is designed to work in their space/environment.
In more technical terms:
IP is an abbreviation of the words Ingress Protection; which is defined as the level of protection that electrical devices have against intrusion by water, moisture, solid objects, and dust.
Now, IP ratings are often denoted in the form of IPXY where:
- “X” is a number showing the device’s protection against intrusion by solid particles and dust. Xoften ranges from 0 to 6 with the former being the least protected and the latter being the most protected. That means that the value of X is directly proportional to the level of protection.
- “Y”is a number showing the device’s protection against intrusion by water and moisture/vapor. Normally, Y will be a number between 0 and 8 or a special protection level Here, the protection level is also directly proportional to the device’s value of Y.
Therefore, all electrical devices – LED lights to be specific – have an IP rating.
It ranges from; IP00 (fixtures with no protection against intrusion by solid objects, dust, water, and vapor) and IP69K (fully protected against intrusion by all solid objects, dust, water, and moisture).
If you’d like to know more about these ratings, visit our Ingress Protection (IP) guide here.
Nowadays, the most common IP ratings you are bound to come across include IP20, IP40, IP64, IP65, IP66, IP68, and IP69K.
However, this post mainly focuses on IP65 LED Lights. Here, you’ll learn a couple of things including:
- The meaning of IP65 ratings.
- The application of IP65 LED lights.
- Benefits of using these lights.
- A few common mistakes to avoid when dealing with LED lights and so on.
What Does an IP65 LED Light Rating Indicate?
Well, it’s quite easy…
From IP65, we get two important bits of information – 6 and 5 – i.e. the fixture is rated 6 in protection against intrusion by solids and 5 in protection against liquids and vapor.
However, does that answer the question above?
No! Or, at least, not conclusively.
You also need to know what those protection rating figures mean.
- The 6indicates that the LED lighting fixture is fully protected against intrusion by solids and dust. This means that IP65 fixtures can be used in dusty environments and open spaces like warehouses, department stores, halls, and outdoor parking lots.
- On the other hand, the 5indicates that the fixture can withstand jets of water from all directions. That means that they are protected against things like rainfall and stray water jets in carwashes.
Therefore, IP65 fixtures are ideal for indoor and outdoor use. However, this rating does not imply that the fixture is waterproof.
Submerging an IP65 LED light in water can lead to damages and performance degradation.
So, take note:
While these fixtures may work well outdoors, you should refrain from using them in extremely wet environments including swimming pools, bathrooms, and busy carwashes.
Now, moving on, a lot of people always find themselves asking this next question…
Are IP65 LED Lights Suitable For Indoor (Open) Parking Garages?
Well, considering how costly it is to switch to LED lights in big parking lots, it’s always wise to ask such a question.
The last thing you want is to invest in these fixtures only to get them damaged within a short time, right?
Therefore, before you buy LED Lights, you have to be sure that they’ll fit in perfectly into your space/intended environment.
Is an IP65 LED fixture good for use in a parking lot?
You can easily use most of these LED fixtures to illuminate large open spaces.
The biggest qualities that make IP65 fixtures ideal for parking lot use are:
- Their ability to withstand dust and solid intrusion.
- Also, the fact that they can be damaged by jets of water coming from any direction e.g. rain and car wash water jets.
Are those enough reasons to convince you to buy IP65 LED Lights for your parking lot?
If not, maybe this next topic will…
Why IP65 LED Lights are Suitable for Parking Garage (Indoor Use)?
This is a question that everyone has had to ask when shopping for high-quality lighting fixtures for parking garages.
You already know a few reasons why IP65 LED lights would be perfect for your parking lot.
However, that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
There are tons of qualities that make these fixtures your best option.
The best way to answer this question is by looking at all important aspects.
In terms of suitability, we can qualify IP65 LED lights using three main aspects namely:
- The benefits of using these lighting fixtures.
- The parking garage environment and its needs.
- Lastly, the solutions offered by IP65 LED fixtures.
Here’s a brief overview of each of these qualities:
a) The Benefits of Using IP65 LED Lights in a Parking Lot
This one’s a no-brainer.
You’ve probably heard about the benefits of using LED lights.
If not, here are some of the biggest benefits that come with the use of LEDs for lighting:
1. LEDs Are Brighter Than All Other Lighting Technologies
The most important benefit of using LEDs is that they offer sufficient lighting without shooting your power bill sky-high.
Normally, a 10W IP65 LED fixture usually produces just as much light as a 100W incandescent light bulb.
What the example above means is that IP65 LEDs can offer up to ten times more light than incandescent bulbs.
And that’s not the best part…
IP65 LED light fixtures also have a high CRI. This makes visibility and color perception much easier in a busy lot.
In turn, this minimizes the chances of accidents and damages to other vehicles in the vicinity.
Therefore, this makes these LEDs ideal for large spaces that require a lot of lighting for long periods including parking garages.
2. IP65 LED Lights Cut Energy Consumption and Costs By Up To 80%
When dealing with large spaces, it’s always hard to keep lighting costs down.
And it gets worse if you’re still using incandescent lights.
Well, to fully illuminate a large open space, you’ll need to install a lot of lighting fixtures around your space; which is costly.
If those fixtures are incandescent or fluorescent lights, the cost rises even higher due to their inefficiencies and short lifespans.
However, LEDs are designed to solve these issues by:
- Being very energy efficient. Most IP65 LED lights have an efficiency rating of around 110lm/W; which is way higher than the 13lm/W you get in most incandescent lights.
- Having lower operational costs. Due to their high efficiency, LEDs tend to use very little power; which, in turn, lower the cost of lighting. That’s why this benefit makes LED fixtures ideal for large spaces like parking garages.
3. Long Lifespans: IP65 LED Lights Can Last For Up To 20 Years
Constantly having to change the lighting fixtures in a big parking garage can be quite the hassle, don’t you agree?
Aside from being boring and time-consuming, fixture replacement can also be very expensive over time.
Luckily, switching to LED lighting helps you to solve that problem too.
Well, IP65 LEDs can last up to 75,000 hours before needing a replacement.
This means that you won’t spend more of your time and money replacing your fixtures. Instead, you’ll be able to do other important things in your normal day to day.
Not to mention, it’s safer for you that way.
Just because an LED fixture has a lifespan of 75,000 hours, it doesn’t necessarily mean it will last that long.
Because there are a lot of factors that can shorten your fixture’s durability.
This is why you need to ensure your LED fixtures are installed and maintained according to their manufacturers’ specifications.
4. IP65 LED Lights Come With Numerous Features and Functionalities
Nowadays, there are so many things you can do with IP65 LED lights. That’s because they are often very easy to manipulate to the user’s advantage.
And that’s thanks to the numerous cool features these light fixtures have.
- Dimming is one of the features you get with IP65 LED fixtures.It allows you to decrease/increase the amount of light produced by these fixtures; to ensure that the lighting in your garage is not only sufficient but also comfortable to those driving in and out of the lot.
- Daylight Sensing is also another awesome feature you’ll find in LEDs.This feature allows you to automate your garage’s lighting. Basically, your parking lot LED lights will go off when it gets dark and on when there’s sufficient lighting in the place. Aside from adding a little bit of convenience for you, it also saves you time and money.
- Motion Sensing Capabilities.LEDs fitted with Motion Sensors are amazing because they often switch on when motion is detected. This feature is great for security and very ideal for those looking to minimize their lighting costs.
Let’s not forget the fact that LEDs don’t hum, flicker or produce heat. Therefore, they can provide a calm, well-lit, and comfortable environment wherever they are used.
Generally, the benefits of LED lighting are numerous. These lighting fixtures can improve your parking garage in more ways than one.
With that in mind, let’s look at another reason why IP65 LED lights are suitable for parking garage lighting…
b) The Environment and Lighting Needs of a Parking Garage
To better understand why IP65 LEDs are great for parking garages, you have to first know the kind of environment you’re dealing with.
In truth, when it comes to parking lots, looks can be deceiving.
Well, most of the time, parking garages will be quiet, calm and clean.
However, when the calm is disrupted by cars going in and out of the garage, your lighting system is often the first casualty.
Now, you’re probably wondering; How?
Basically, the environment can be a bit harsh during busy hours.
Your parking garage lighting system will be affected by three main things namely:
1. Harmful Gases
Every parking garage is always filled with harmful gases.
How and why?
From carbon dioxide produced during fuel combustion to unburned gasoline from cars driving in and out.
Don’t fret, these gases may not be harmful to users when in small quantities and the exposure is short-term.
Long-term accumulation and exposure to these harmful gases may cause your lighting fixtures to start failing prematurely.
2. Heat Accumulation
Aside from harmful gases, heat is yet another thing you’ll have to worry about.
Let’s face it, heat and lighting don’t go together.
In case you are wondering; where does the heat in parking garages come from?
Well, there are three definite answers to this question:
- The heat from car exhaust fumes.
- The heat from car engines.
- Lastly, the stagnated air in a parking lot.
When there’s too much heat, lighting fixtures tend to fail or perform poorly.
3. Frequent Shocks and Vibrations
Lastly, you have to consider the fact that your parking garage lighting system is always subjected to vibrations and shock.
These vibrations are often as a result of:
- Air vibration from car horns, moving vehicles, braking cars, and playing loud music when driving around the garage.
- Also, when vehicles move around the parking lot, there are bound to be structural vibrations that can loosen or damage lighting fixtures.
With that in mind, the next – most important – question would be:
How do IP65 LED Lights fit into this?
c) The Solutions offered by IP65 LEDs in a Parking Garage
Now that you fully understand how bad a parking garage environment can be, let’s look at a few ways IP65 LED lights offer solutions to these problems:
IP65 LEDs Are Better Than Incandescent Lights in Every Aspect
The biggest solutions you get to enjoy when you switch to LED lighting are their convenience, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness.
Well, modern LEDs are:
- Impressively durable – IP65 LEDs can last for up to 75,000 hours; which is 75 times longer than standard incandescent bulbs.
- Very energy-efficient– These LEDs are often up to 80% more efficient than incandescent lights. That means that you get to spend 80% less on your lighting costs.
- Sources of high-quality lighting– LED fixtures usually produce better lighting because they are brighter and have a higher CRI than most incandescent lights.
- Able to operate under extreme temperatures– Regardless of how hot or cold it gets, IP65 LED will still work perfectly. Most of these fixtures have a temperature range of between -200 and 500
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Which is why swapping out incandescent bulbs for IP65 LEDs can be a really wise move.
IP65 LEDs Are Protected Against Damage Caused by Harmful Gases
These LED fixtures are made of the highest quality of materials.
Strong Aluminum coupled with 94V0 plastic to be exact.
The result is a strong, impenetrable, and a corrosion-resistant lighting fixture.
That way, you won’t have to worry about harmful parking garage gases damaging your lighting fixtures.
IP65 LEDs Are Shock-Proof and Fully Reinforced
Due to their special design, IP65 LED lights are immune to shock and vibration-related damages.
These fixtures don’t contain filaments or any components that can be damaged/dislodged when there’s a vibration in the structure or atmosphere.
Therefore, regardless of how busy your parking garage is, your LED fixtures will work perfectly all through.
IP65 LEDs Are Easy To Customize To Fit Personal Preferences
Unlike fluorescent and incandescent lights, it’s quite easy to customize the light output of IP65 LED lights.
Well, LEDs come with numerous features.
- You can install motion sensors that switch on your LED fixtures when motion is detected. It’s not only convenient and safe but also a big cost saver.
- You can install dimmers that help you to regulate lighting in your parking garage. That way it will be easy to keep the amount of light in the garage at comfortable levels.
- Also, daylight sensor LEDs switch on and off depending on the time of day and amount of light.
- Lastly, you can fit emergency LEDs that switch on immediately whenever there’s an emergency.
Evidently, all these benefits point to one thing…
That IP65 LED fixtures are made for parking garage lighting.
They not only save you a lot of money but also add a lot of convenience for you and your garage users.
Before we wrap up, here are a few common mistakes you should avoid when dealing with LED lights.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Using IP65 LED Lights
We can all agree that…
Switching to IP65 LED lights in a parking lot is a wise move, right?
But, even so, not everyone does it right the first time.
There are a ton of mistakes that can happen if you don’t have all the information you need.
And that’s why you need to ensure you have every bit of information you need before making the switch.
How do you go about that?
Well, start by learning from other peoples’ mistakes.
And on that note, here are some common mistakes you should know about:
1. Failing to Take Adequate Measurements of Your Parking Garage.
Why is taking measurements so important?
For one, it helps you to determine how big your parking garage’s lighting needs are.
And once you have that, you’ll be able to know how many fixtures you need and where you are going to put them to optimize your lighting system.
2. Mixing IP65 LED Lights with Incandescent Fixtures
It’s never a good idea!
- It beats the whole purpose of buying LED lights. You won’t be saving as much as you would if you switched to IP65 LED lights entirely.
- It will affect the light quality and aesthetics in your parking garage. Basically, you’ll lose uniformity and the ease of manipulating light output.
- Mixing light technologies can affect visibility and clarity. Remember that different technologies have different CRIs.
3. Buying More LEDs Than Is Necessary
Too many LED lights are not only expensive to procure but also very unnecessary.
For starters, LED lights shine brighter than other lighting technologies. Therefore, you may end up having an uncomfortably bright parking space.
Also, LEDs are quite durable. That means that even if you decide to use some and keep some as spares, it may take years before you have to replace an LED fixture. In simple terms, it would wastage.
4. Ignoring the Importance of LED Dimmers
Dimmers play a very important role in lighting.
That’s because they make it easy for users to regulate the amount of light output at any given time.
That way, your parking garage will always have light levels that are comfortable for drivers and garage users; hence, minimizing insecurity, the chances of accidents and injuries.
5. Failing to Consider Blind Spots and Shadow Areas
You also need to consider where shadows will fall so that you can get rid of them.
Shadows and blind spots in a parking garage can be quite dangerous.
Therefore making this consideration helps to mitigate your liabilities in case of an accident or injury.
6. Choosing the Wrong Sizes of IP65 LED Lights
The size of your LED fixtures should be directly proportional to the size of the space i.e. a big garage requires big/long LED fixtures.
Heeding to this concept helps to cut your procurement costs as well as design expenses.
When procuring light fixtures for your parking space, it will cost you more to buy numerous small fixtures instead of a few big/long LED lights.
7. Assuming that LED Lights Last Forever
Although LEDs have impressively long lifespans, it does not imply that they last forever.
In fact, your LEDs lifespan will be highly depended on the environment around it and how you install it.
Failing to follow manufacturer guidelines and limits can cause your fixtures to fail sooner than expected.
8. Installing Single Sources of Lighting in Small Spaces
This is very unwise. Why?
Well, if the fixture fails, it may lead to a blind/dark spot in your garage; which is risky and dangerous.
However, when you have more than one source, there’ll still be light even after one fails.
9. Failing to Install Accent or Task Lights
Task or accent lights are very vital parts of any building’s lighting system.
They are used to highlight important things that are vital to the safety and security of the everyday user.
Some of these things include:
- Emergency exits.
- Fire safety equipment.
- Notices and warnings.
There you have it – everything you need to know about IP65 LED lights.
Evidently, these luminaries are designed and built for your parking garage.
You’ll not only enjoy more convenience, reliability, and efficiency but also you’ll spend less to keep your parking garage well lit.
And with that in mind, don’t forget to steer clear of the mistake outlined above. It’s easier, cheaper, and stress-free.
Do You Have Any Questions?
We’d love to hear your thoughts on the topic. Leave a comment below or contact us today for more insights on everything to do with LED light technology.
2人评论了“IP65 LED Lights: The Ultimate User Guide (2022)”
This is the best article I have found till now on IP ratings of LED lights. Thanks for clearing by confusion between different types of ratings and what they meant.
I am happy to hear that and will keep writing.